Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup




This is a recipe that I originally got from my older sister. It is another quick, easy, healthy meal. I like this soup because it tastes delicious and I can make it without hassle after a long day at work.

Process
In a soup pot, brown some boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders on medium heat (the amount is up to you, but I normally use 6 tenders or 3 breasts). Once the chicken has browned, cut it up into bite-sized pieces and return them to the pot. Add some chopped red onion, sliced mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until the onion and garlic are beginning to brown (you may want to add a splash of low-sodium chicken broth at this stage to help keep everything from sticking). Add a can of low-sodium black beans, a can of low-sodium red kidney beans, a can of no salt added corn, a can of large black olives, and a can of Mexican style chopped or diced tomatoes. Add low-sodium chicken broth until your desired level of solids to liquids is achieved. Dash in your desired amount of cayenne pepper, cumin, and garlic powder. Cook until all ingredients are heated through, 10-15 minutes. Serve with La Tortilla Factory hand-made white corn tortillas, toasted and a light sprinkling of 2% shredded Mexican-style cheese (I skip this when I pack it for work because the cheese sticks to the tupperware). When available, I add 1/4 of sliced avocado on top.

As a side note, my husband just saw me typing this up and said, "Mexican tortilla soup? Yummy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment